Shop talk, answers to your FAQs, and a peek behind the scenes of an artist-run fine art gallery in Park Slope
The fall art-show scene is in full swing and here’s where we are at:
∧ 440 pops up at BrooklynWorks at 159 We’re pleased to partner with this neighborhood co-working space on 20th Street to showcase our work. Now and in upcoming months, every 440 Gallery artist will be showing work in this cool, Greenwood Heights location. The views are great! It’s not often that the entire gallery gets to show together as a group, and we hope you’ll take advantage of this unique opportunity to see the full range of media, styles and concepts all in one space. The public is welcome to visit the space during BrooklynWorks business hours, check their website for specifics. Lunch in the neighborhood afterwards? Check out El Nopal Restaurant & Juice Bar at 631 Fifth Avenue near 18th Street—Joy Makon recommends it for the freshly-made tacos and the sweet people who work there.
∧ Jo-Ann Acey Here’s where you can see more work from Jo-Ann Acey:
• Gowanus Open Studios 2017: visit Jo-Ann at her studio at Square Dot Plus Studios Saturday, October 21 & Sunday, October 22
• St. Joseph’s College, The Alumni Room Gallery: Finding Beauty on view through November 2, 2017
• Site:Brooklyn: Color: Primary to Tertiary, a juried show opening November 3 running through December 3, 2017
∧ Ellen Chuse is celebrating three decades of her work at these events:
• Gowanus Open Studios 2017: Meet Ellen and see her new work at her studio on Nevins Street.
• Bond Collective: Ellen is showing nine large pieces including the 1998 triptych Block Island at this interesting co-working environment in downtown Manhattan. Contact Ellen directly to arrange an appointment to see the work.
∧ Joy Makon will be showing work at several events:
• Gowanus Open Studios 2017: visit Joy on Nevins Street to see a selection of new work from her summer travels.
• Park Slope Windsor Terrace Artists Open Studios: Joy will have her studio open on Saturday, Nov 18 and Sunday, Nov 19. A new selection of watercolor figure studies will be featured along with many framed and matted works.
• Showcase at Assemblymember Robert Carroll’s office. Joy curates and shows in this storefront window produced by Park Slope Windsor Terrace Artists. Located at Seventh Avenue & 14th Street, Park Slope, ongoing.
∧ Janet Pedersen will be showing work during Gowanus Open Studio weekend at 440 Gallery. Her newest figurative pieces are beautiful and full of color and texture. Check out her profile here and stop by the gallery to meet Janet and see her work.
And…we’re sending lots of hugs to gallery-mate and friend Vicki Behm, just because.
Part II of our update is coming shortly.